I was talking with a friend recently who mentioned that he often comes up with his most creative ideas in the shower. I found that interesting because I have met many people who have innovative ideas while in the shower. I also have many creative ideas when I’m driving.
Since we all have creative thoughts at unexpected times, it is important to be prepared for those innovative ideas ahead of time. To me, being prepared means having a way to record the innovative idea before it “disappears”. Here are a few ways to be sure you are always prepared to record your innovative thoughts:
- Carry a pen/pencil and paper with you at all times – get a small pad of paper and a short pencil that easily fit in your pocket or purse.
- If you have innovative ideas in the middle of the night, keep a pad of paper next to your bed to record those ideas.
- Use your cell phone. If you have a smart phone, use a note-taking application or a voice recording application. If your phone does not have those abilities, send yourself a text message or call your voicemail and leave a message for yourself.
- Keep a pad of paper and a pen in your car. If I’m waiting in my car for an appointment or to pick up one of my kids, I will often use that time as a mini-brainstorming session and write down all of my ideas.
- Put a white board in your office or other location just for creative ideas. I have a white board in my office that is used exclusively for innovative business ideas related to my current projects.
In the comments below, please let me know your favorite system for recording innovative ideas.